Monday, August 11, 2014

Answer Me This, Vol. 15 - Summer, Pie, and Libraries

Welcome to Answer Me This! The Q&A style linkup hosted by Kendra over at Catholic All Year which is super fun and easier than coming up with my own content. It's also known as the internet's favorite virtual cocktail party! (in my opinion, at least)




1.  What do you still want to do this summer?
 All the things! I really want to take a long weekend and go to a hotel by the beach, but that probably won't happen. I want to ride my bike a bit more and I want to continue cleaning up my room. There are only 4 weeks left of summer technically, and I'm spending most of them at the office. I do want to polish at least one of my poems to start submitting to lit mags by fall deadlines, though. So that's my wishy-hopey for the next 4 weeks.

2. What's your favorite kind of pie?
 Apple. I love to make it and I looooove to eat it. I'm also a big fan of cheesecake, even though it's technically not a pie.

This is technically a cherry pie. I love making cherry pies, but I won't eat them.


3. How much sleep do you need each day? How much do you get?
 I've learned over the last several months that I actually require about 9-10 hours of sleep. I usually get about 8, which is great (I guess?) but it sucks right now because I'm in super night owl mode so I'm not falling asleep until 1:30/2am which means I'm naturally waking up at 10am. Do you see how this is screwing with my work schedule? I'm trying really hard this week to be better about getting to bed and doing sleepy things like drinking tea and not watching House on Netflix...

Source
4. Do you prefer to swim in a pool, lake, river, or ocean?
I like to do my swimming in pools and lakes, thanks. Rivers are not really my friend and the ocean is a bit yucky and has sharks in it. Pools and lakes are clean and cool and refreshing and so nice.

5. Do you know any poems by heart?
Blueberry Girl, by Neil Gaiman. It's technically a picture book but it's told in inverse and has a very lyrical quality to it. Also, when my Blueberry Girl was little she would insist that I chant it over and over again while pushing her on the swings, so it stuck in my head.



I'm also very familiar with In Flanders Fields and Because I Could Not Stop for Death--. I also know Jabberwocky and assorted Shel Silverstein poems.

6. Do you use the public library?
 No.  Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of libraries and the institution that is the Public Library and libraries and librarians are wonderful and do great good in our world and I absolutely support and promote the use of the library, but I do not use the library myself. I wish I did and I wish I could but there are several reasons why I don't.

a) The public libraries in my area are dark, dingy, scary places with terrible lighting and a very limited selection of books I'd be interested in reading.

b) Because I work all the freaking time I either take a 1 1/2 months to read a book or I binge read 3 in one weekend. Library due dates do not seem to understand this.
Source

c) I often find a lot of markings, dog-eared pages, mysterious stains and smells as well as sticky spots in library books. This makes me sad, angry, and frustrated and generally ruins my reading experience.

d) My To-Read pile is staggering on both my Kindle and my nightstand. I don't need to go to the library when I'm still trying to get through all of these books I already own.

There are some really beautiful libraries out there and there are fabulous librarians in them. I simply don't have the privilege of living near any of them right now.

So that's it for this round of Answer Me This! If you have a blog, answer the questions and link up with us over at Kendra's in this post. Don't have a blog but still want to play? That's okay because this whole thing is made up and the posts don't matter - leave your answers in the comments either at Kendra's post or right here! I'd love to hear from you.

love,
Willow


 
*Author's Note: The "Answer me This" logo image belongs to Kendra Tierney over at Catholic All Year. The first two images in the "favorite quotes" part of this post are my property - if you wish to use them, please ask. The rest of the images in this post belong to very talented, hard-to-track-down artists on the internet. I have given credit as best as I could where I was able, thank you for not suing.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day!