Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Yarn Along - Cedar Leaf Shawlette

Greetings! Obviously one of favorite things is reading, but I also quite love knitting. Ginny over at Small Things hosts a lovely little link-up so once you're done here go visit and see what everyone else is up to.


I knit a bunch of stuff over the winter it felt like, but I slowed down in the spring and early summer and spent more time writing letters and taking Gatsby for walks. I did knit up this sweet little shawlette in the last two months which is quite nice. I'm a bit bummed that I didn't go for the full sized shawl (I had enough yarn, I just neglected to buy that pattern) but this is so pretty and lovely that I don't particularly mind. (I mean seriously? ALL of Never Not Knitting's patterns are delicious. Alana is brilliant.)


I did Alana's Cedar Leaf Shawlette in green in an attempt to broaden my color horizons (I wear so much purple, I really need to branch out!). I wish I could have done it in the colorway shown in the pattern because that slight variegation is drop dead gorgeous, but it's not in the budget. Besides, this baby sport weight yarn is plush and feels good against the skin. Plus it's a lighter color and I think that's a bit more flattering on me.


This was a relatively easy knit. Stockinette stitch short rows give it a nice shape and the leaves are knit on at the end. It took me a couple of tries to figure out how the leaves worked but after I got the first 2 done it all made sense. The leaves did take me almost a month to get done, though. This was due in part to the fact that there was a solid week that I didn't do anything with them because I dropped some stitches (*shudder*) but also because it was an 18 row repeat and you had to do it 29 times. Granted the rows were never more than 16 stitches but still. That's a lot. Whining aside, it did turn out so very lovely. I'm very excited to see how it looks when I finally finish blocking it and get to wear it.

Leaf Edging

Reading: I'm taking a break from The Other Typist. Again. Instead (because I've been in hyper knitting mode to finish M's Snowflakes hat) I've been listening to Neil Gaiman read his fantasy novel Neverwhere which is brilliant and gorgeous and he does the most awesome voices and everything about that man is so luscious and wonderful and I need to stop gushing about him forserious. I also started reading Miss Buncle's Book on my Kindle. I kind of like it but I'm really not sure yet.

Close-up of the leaf edging

Also, bonus pic of my progress on the Snowflakes checked slouch - I started the decreases on Monday night so I'm on the home stretch!

It's gonna be big and slouchy

**UPDATE!** I finished the Snowflakes hat on Wednesday night. FO Post coming soon.

 
That's it for me today. What have you been knitting and reading lately? Let me know in comments and then head over to Ginny's to see what everyone else is up to!

Love,

Willow

2 comments:

  1. Love the snowflakes hat! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pattern is so easy and not as complicated as the finished product looks - it's worked one color at a time with slip stitches! Thanks for the comment love.
      ~Willow

      Delete

Your lovely comments make my day!