Thursday, December 18, 2014

Yarn Along - Scarlet Mitts

Greetings! Obviously one of favorite things is reading, but I also quite love knitting. Ginny over at Small Things hosts a lovely little link-up so once you're done here go visit and see what everyone else is up to.

 

So I got this gorgeous baby alpaca over a year ago with the intention of making the Malabrigo Hand Thingies (I can't make this up). The whole shop was making them and the baby alpaca yarn was the ticket. It's so soft, knits up so nicely, and feels so good. The pattern is simple but not boring so it's a great project to step you into starting more intermediate projects if you're ready to move past scarves.

But because I'm an idiot, I did two stupid things.

1) I only knit up one last year. Then I got distracted so I'm finally finishing the pair.

2) The second one I knit too tight. Like, waaaaaaay too tight. I don't know what was wrong with me but I seriously mucked up this bit. I'm debating whether or not I want to re-make it, just rip it all out and start over (even though I've technically already bound off). It only took me a week of half-hearted knitting to make the one so maybe I can get them done soon. *Update: I knit another hand thingy (I now have 3) in a size 8 and oh the difference! I'm currently working on a 4th on the size 8 needle and need to weave in ends on the others.*


The bright red is such a fun, festive color, too, and I have a ton left, so I could conceivably make a hat to go with my mitts! We'll see how ambitious I'm feeling when we get there. I'm pretty much done with Christmas knitting unless I crochet hats for my niece and nephew. I may make them mini-mitts as well but we'll see how ambitious I'm feeling. I don't think we'll be seeing them until after Christmas so perhaps I'll give them to them after the New Year?

Not sure if he can smell the alpaca or the lotion I was wearing before I put them on

If you want to know what else I've got on my needles, head on over to my Ravelry page for a look-see.  

Apparently they were also tasty... Goofy cat.

Reading: After my uncle moved out 2 weeks ago (did I fail to mention that I live alone!!!! ? It's awesome.) the internet has been no-worky. There's a cord/cable issue that has yet to be fully resolved. 

Love Letters to the Dead | [Ava Dellaira]
Audible
In any case, I finished listening to the Audible audio of Neil Gaiman reading his novel Neverwhere and it was wonderful. I also finished listening to Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale and have moved on to Love Letters to the Dead. It sounds way more morbid than it actually is. It's pretty good so far.

That's it for me today. What have you been knitting and reading lately? Let me know in comments and then head over to Ginny's to see what everyone else is up to!

Since I likely won't post another Yarn Along until after the new year, here's a fun little holiday-ish collage I made on PicMonkey (which is really, really fun to play with!). Happy New Year and may you all have a very blessed Christmas.


  
Love,

Willow
  
 P.S. I'm not sure what's going on with my font in this post - the changes may or may not be reflected in the finished post. Sorry if it looks wonky - working on fixing it!

*Author's Note: The Yarn Along button in this post is property of Ginny Sheller and is used with permission. The image of Love Letters to the Dead audio version is taken from the Audible website and used for illustrative purposes only. All other images used in this post as well as text are (c)Whitney Miller and may be used only with my express permission. See my About Page for details.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day!